Re: TF Vapor Lock

To: tr6@pipeline.com
Subject: Re: TF Vapor Lock
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 07:01:22 EDT
Hi Ron,
  The fuel pump on the early TFs was on the firewall, as it was on TDs.
Apparently there was a vapor lock problem with it, as the pump was moved
to a location near the fuel tank so it would pressurize more of this fuel
line/system.
  At the GOF in Newton, in the parking lot which was as hot as a skillet,
a number of drivers were discussing vapor lock. The consensus was that it
doesn't happen in the T cars, that if the problem seems to be vapor lock,
it's really some other problem mimicing VL.  This argument was made most
strongly by a couple of fellows who had installed heat shields between
the exhaust manifolds and the carburettors, and had found them
ineffective.
  Ideas about vapor lock problems:  fuel level incorrect in the float
bowls; mixture too lean, spark timing off, spark weak, air leak around
carb throttle shafts, air leak at carb or manifold gaskets, and (believe
it or not) one fellow said that he found the problem to be that the
timing chain had been installed one tooth "off" during an engine rebuild.
  I don't know, frankly. This summer my MkII has started "vapor lock"
miseries. It's never done it before in the 44 years we have had the car.
Maybe fuel is so different this year, but more likely it's something
related to 44 years of use. I have spent hours going over the engine and
can't find a problem--could be the elephant in front of my face that I
can't see.
  Please let me know what you did if you solve the problem on the TF. It
may be shared.
Bob