Re: TF Vapor Lock

To: dmeadow@juno.com
Subject: Re: TF Vapor Lock
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 08:41:13 EDT
Hi David,
 Thanks for your reply. Your idea of using a supplementary pump sure
makes sense to me. My TD MkII has two pumps, so one is likely to be in
service at any time, but in our MGB I keep a small USA auxiliary pump
just in case the faithful SU that's mounted out of harm's way, just ahead
of the RR tire, protected by the dirt, mud and crud of the road, lives.
I have set it up with short rubber fuel hoses and clamps so that if the
trusty SU were to take a vacation, the auxiliary pump could be hooked
into the fuel line just ahead of the carburettors, and the wires lead
around the engine to the fuse block on the opposite side.  A real plus to
the SU pumps is that one may either push fuel through them or pull fuel
through them, without having to remove the SU.
  Now that you have mentioned it, I have noticed altered performance in
the SUpumps during hot weather. They seem to 1) run very fast for a time,
or 2) hesitate.  The job gets done, but the pumps do act strangely.  One
supposes that the test for this would be to tape the cover to the pump
body so to make it watertight, then pour cold water on the pump when it's
acting strange.
Bob