Re: MG Midget-Weird noises/accelleration-Q from a novice

To: Udhishtran Senathirajah <ingan@globalnet.co.uk>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MG Midget-Weird noises/accelleration-Q from a novice
From: Gregory Kirk <gkirk@empirenet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 09:30:54 -0700
At 04:58 PM 7/13/97 +0100, Udhishtran Senathirajah wrote:

>Hi all,
>My sis treated herself to a 1500cc 1978/9 MG Midget an year ago, which has
>now started to give a loud rattle from around the center/back of the engine
>bay, when accellerating from any speed, the sound can be likened to a wire
>coat hanger caught by the fan, the rattle is loud and increases with the
>revs- there may be an accompanying judder in the clutch pedal although I
>cant be certain and I am not too keen to get back into that infernal
>contraption to make sure.

I really don;t know about the judder in the clutch pedal, but the rattle
sounds like it could be the big end bearings. Leastwise my midget (948)
seems to be doing the same thing, and the Previous Owner warned me about
it.  Though honestly, I'm far from the expert mechanic here.  Initailly it
only did it on fourth, but now it's started doing it in third to, though
only under hard acceleration.

as for the accelerator pedal woes, I'm clueless...

Greg
"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
 I have spread my dreams under your feet;
 Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
                                  Yeats