Re: fluids

To: RDWILLI@VM.SC.EDU
Subject: Re: fluids
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 08:41:13 EDT
On Sun, 13 Jul 97 20:45:25 EDT robert williford <RDWILLI@VM.SC.EDU>
writes:
>decided to flush the cooling system and change the gearbox oil today
>since the bad float in the rear su cannot be obtained except thru mail
>order, rendering it immobile until such time as this part arrives...
>
>1)  what mixture of water/antifreeze is usu. run in an mgb? (this is
>73
>    model)
50/50 is the usual mix.
>2)  the fluid from the gearbox smells suspiciously like 80w-90 gear
>     oil, and is thick enough to qualify as such.  the manual suggests
>     20w-50.  any recommendations?  which provides more protection /
>     causes the least problems?
Opinion is divided, but most of the MGB owners I know have switched to
the 80-90 or 90-140 gear oil.  Gear oil will be too viscous for the
Overdrive to work properly until it warms a bit (I know 90 should be 90
at all temps, but experience shows this OD phenomenon to be true).
>3)  2 of the 3 water outlet studs are bolts, the third is a two-way
>    stud threaded into the block, holding the outlet with a nut.  of
>    course, this stud broke under pressure today as i was removing the
>    outlet to flush the block.  any idea what size bolt/stud i can use
>    to replace this?  i only hope its not whitworth...
Take the broken-off stud to your vise, back off the nut and determine
stud size from there. Not likely to be Whitworth-almost everything is
standard thread except in proprietary parts such as Lucas and SU.
>4)  on a different note, is the defrost/heater fan one speed or two?
>    i took the interior fan switch off today, cleaned it, and got the
>    fan running.  the switch seems capable of two 'clicks,' but the
>    test light doesn't register current when the switch is depressed
>    to the second 'on' position.
I don't know. Our B fan had one speed for the switch two clicks, and that
was stopped. Cleaned the switch, removed fan and oiled bearings, now have
one operating speed. This is in a '72.
>thanks in advance...
>robert williford
>73 mgb with a clear cooling system, empty gearbox, and no carbs....

Bob