Re: '75 MGB seatbelts

To: John Steczkowski <stecz@pswtech.com>
Subject: Re: '75 MGB seatbelts
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 07:54:43 -0400
John Steczkowski wrote:

> I am the new owner of a '75 MGB (55k miles). Everything on it is great
> except for the inertial seatbelt reels. The drivers side is the better
> of the two, but it feels like the spring is worn out that reels the belt
> back in. On the passenger side, it often ends up with all kinds of slack
> (wouldn't do a bit of good in a wreck). Moss has replacements for $140
> each, but they aren't exact replacements (maybe that's good since the
> ones I have are screwed up). Any other ideas?
>
> My other idea is to get a non-inertial three point belt for the driver's
> side ($40 or so, "vintage style" in Moss' catalog) and put the better
> functioning inertial reel on the passenger side (is that possible?).
>
> --
> John Steczkowski
> PSW Technologies, Inc.
> 512-343-6666
> stecz@pswtech.com
> http://www.pswtech.com/~stecz
> http://www.pswtech.com                          O-

John-

I had the same problem on my 77.  I found a static belt in J.C. Whitney
for about half the cost of the one Moss offers.  They seem very high
quality, and quite possibly to be the same as the one Moss offers.

I am aware of no reason why you couldn't swap sides with the existing
belts.  Of course with the cost of the Whitney belt, you could replace
both.  FOr what its worth, seatbelt webbing does age, and lose strength.
For maximum protection, any car with twenty year old seat belts is
probably due for replacement.

Regards,

Chris