Re: '76 Midget - Oil on my coffee table??

To: cfiddes@direct.ca
Subject: Re: '76 Midget - Oil on my coffee table??
From: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 17:34:15 -0500
Chris:

I was just there, same problem.  My problem was the brake master
cylinder first then a few days later the clutch MC.  If you have the
later version Midget with the separate brake and clutch cylinders you
can get a rebuilt brake cylinder from Advance Auto for about $35.00.
(Thanks to Adrian Jones for the tip) If its the clutch a rebuild kit is
available from Moss, and others, for about $5.00.  It is easy to see the
problem, just remove the four screws on the cover plate above the
brake/clutch pedal and look at (feel) the shaft's.  If its the brake MC
make sure to bench bleed it before you install it in the car, makes
bleeding the rest of the system much easier. I drained the entire system
and refilled and bled the system with Castrol DOT 4 LMA fluid and all is
fine.  While you are under there make sure that the return springs are
on you pedals,  if not the new MC may lock up your front brakes. (Been
there too)  A few squirts of Fantastic on the carpet and the garden hose
cleaned up the mess,  you may also want to pull off the rubber pedal pad
and clean it up with brake cleaner.  Mine got so slippery from the fluid
that it slid off the backing plate on the first test drive.

Of course, if you have the dual cylinder older version ignore all of
this...and go get a loan and buy a new one, or ask Aron Travis to
describe his magical "flapper" device.

Mark
70 Midget
Nashville