MG 97.......Thank You

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MG 97.......Thank You
From: BOOFALO@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 00:30:56 -0400 (EDT)
Yo Chaps,

Well just as x-mas morning is filled with excitement and you
don't want it to end, so went MG 97 for those of us in the Buffalo
Octagon Association.  Two plus years of planning, preparation
anticipation and about a zillion committee meetings later the
convention is now history.

Oh yes, there were plenty of "I was thinking about putting the snow
tires on the "B" knowing that I was coming to Buffalo" type jokes.
There were also some pleasantly surprised out-of-towners who
drove in with the top down and left it down for the entire string of
mid 80 degree days and high 70 degree nights.  In fact many of
the participants were surprised when they found out that all but
one event was scheduled in Amherst, N.Y. ( a northern suburb of Buffalo).

The intent of this posting is not to expound upon the niceties of
western New York State but to let the list know that from the B.O.A.
way of looking at the convention, it was a huge success.  The car
show itself drew 248 cars to the grounds of the Amherst Museum on
saturday in blue sky weather.  The awards banquet on saturday night
drew 325 afficianados who were fed and "fooled" by magicians who
traveled from table to table prior to dinner. After dinner and before the
awards, we were treated to a three magician par excellance stage
show.  Definitely a first for awards banquets.The evening was capped
off by the "best in show" car appearing (driven in) next to the stage as
the winner was announced.

We knew going into this convention that we did not have the same po-
tential that Indy had for MG 96 but we knew that we had a chance at a
small but potentially different convention which included historic archi-
tectural tours of Buffalo, a shopping spree to the Galleria Mall, sightseeing
at Niagara Falls etc.  We fielded many compliments regarding the many
different things to do and the way that everything ran so well.

We also know that even with a zillion committee meetings, a convention
needs support from other clubs, NAMGBR, chaps like you, and as Ken
Smith stated at the dinner.....from the ladies in our lives.  We would like
to wholeheartedly thank all of those who poured time, energy, sweat and
their own mix of emotions into this effort.  We want to thank all of the
generous individuals and businesses who contributed with door prizes
auction items, and the like.  A tip of the hat goes out to the afficianados
who came from as far away as Mississippi and Missouri to display
their cars for without the cars there is no show.  There was a great
number of MG clubs from across the country that showed their support
with regalia, donations and participation in running some of the events.
Then, as at all MG events, there were the people who helped other MG
owners with parts, labor and of course, a brew, when they were broken
down etc.

A shake of the head in disbelief goes out to the MGA driver who after
repeated warnings from his wife that the car wasn't running right, stopped
the car.  Then as he was going to turn the wheels and resume, ran over
his left front wheel as it dis-lodged.  And lastly a shake of my own head
as fate had me driving home from the hotel to my house on thursday
afternoon.  I needed to drop off auction items and the like and decided
that the MG would be over burdened so I decided to take my Plymouth
Voyager instead.  My teenage daughter at the last minute decided not
to come with me but stayed home instead.  Anyway. on the way home
approximately 110 yards from my house as I turned left into my street I
was broadsided by another vehicle. Just under $5,000 damage to the
van.  But I'm thankful it was the van and not the "B" and I'm glad my daug-
ter was at home instead of in the passenger seat where the other car
did the most damage.

MG 97 is now history and hopefully the attendees will conjure up a
nice thought or two about the event from time to time.  Please do not use
MG 97 as a yard stick when you might be tempted to compare conven-
tions that you were at.  We knew we had a tough act to follow (Indy 96)
but we also knew our limitations and strengths.  That was our yard stick...
to make it the best that "we" could with what our area had to offer.  All
clubs
who put on a convention may think that they have to out-do the previous one.
It's only naturally.  Some advice, do what you do best with what you have
and it will work out fine.  Lastly as per Rick Ingram's request at the awards
banquet, get in your car and take a drive for DamitDick.

Thanx again......

Ange Daluisio
Auction and Donation Chairman
MG 97

Buffalo Octagon Association- Serving All Sides of the Marque.