Re: Heavy Weight Shock Oil

To: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: Heavy Weight Shock Oil
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 06:22:58 -0500
Jay Quinn wrote:

> Yes, a motorcycle shop.  Use 40 wt fork oil.
>
> Foams a lot less.

> At 06:06 AM 7/16/97 -0500, Mark Endicott wrote:
> >I have been looking for some heavy weight shock oil for the rear shocks
> >in the Midget but haven't been able to find anything above 30 wt.
> >Anybody have a recommendation where to look?
> >
> >Thanks Again,
> >
> >Mark
> >70 Midget
> >Nashville
> >

> --
> Jay Quinn - Systems Engineer
> jpquinn@cyberramp.net
> http://www.cyberramp.net/~jpquinn/index.htm
> '62 Healey Sprite MKII HAN6L2874

Mark and Jay -
        Went through this a while back.  On advice from this list, I started
searching for 50 wt fork oil.  Went to many cycle shops.  Heaviest I
could find was 30 wt.  They checked their catalogs and called suppliers
- no one professed any knowledge of anything greater than 30 wt.  One
Harley shop, when I asked for 50 wt, not knowing it was for an LBC, said
"Why don't you just weld the forks?"  So I bought the 30 wt, dismounted
my shocks, drained and flushed them with kerosene, and refilled with the
30 wt.  Talk about a firm ride now!  I'm still evalulating, but I may
replace (at least on the rear shocks) the oil with 20 wt.  The ride is
close to uncomfortable with the 30 wt.
        On an aside, anyone know what type of oil was originally in the
shocks?  That had to be about the worst smelling substance I have ever
encountered!

--
Keep on keepin' on!
(non illegitimus carborundus)