Re: SB 42 on Appropriations Committee Suspense list?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SB 42 on Appropriations Committee Suspense list?
From: Gary Burrell <garyb@pentek.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 11:09:15 -0400
mil76@juno.com wrote:

>         I've been off the list for a few months now, so forgive me if
> am simply rehashing ideas already expressed.
>
>         If the object is to convince the lawmakers that our lbc's are
> not
> the smog belching gorillas that they are so afraid of, why not enclose

>         Also, what is suggested for getting rid of the actual
> gorillas?
> I drive 100 miles a day on LA freeways and I see about 5 a day.

Why not suggest that only cars with "Classic" plates be exempted,
and that the requirements for classic plates would be something
like:

1) Not primary auto
2) 25 + years old (or some other # 20? 15?)
3) Used for recreational use only.
I would suggest that recreational use can be widely interpreted
such as to not exclude most uses for older cars, however it would
not allow for the daily driver/gorillas?

It is a comprimise that follows the spirt of the bill which is to exempt

low milage older cars.  High milage cars need not apply.

Note I don't live in california so this bill doesn't affect me.  I live
in NJ
where the worst problem is insurance rates, not smog tests.

--
Gary Burrell
Design Engineer