Re: TF mystery

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TF mystery
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 07:06:30 -0400
At 09:19 PM 7/17/97 -0500, 1955tf@flash.net wrote:
>Dear Mike -
>

>YES, YES, YES!!!
>
>Exactly the same problem when I restored my TF.
>
>In 1994 I installed "Stellite" valves and silicon-bronze guides.  Whenever
>the engine got to operating temp, cruising, BAM, a sticky valve.  Let off
>the gas, push in the clutch, the engine cools 1/100 of a degree, and you're
>off again for 30 seconds or so.
>
>My solution was the same as yours.  I replaced the guides with cast iron.
>No problems since, and at least 5,000 miles.
>
>BTW, complained to Mike O'Connor, my Moss part guy back then (1994), and he
>said that my gripe was the first that he had received.  Looks like I'm not
>alone anymore.
>
>My advice?  Stellite valves are great.  I put them in a '51 TD and my '55 TF
>and have had zero problems,
>
>BUT
>
>DO NOT USE THE SILICON-BRONZE GUIDES.
>

>Tim in Dallas

Bob, Tim and David all replied, thanks. Yes as Bob said, the guides could
have been reamed another thousands, but it was too late as the guides were
moving in their bore.

I'm not that good at the technical aspects, and rely on the pros for engine
and trans work, leaving myself to repairs that can be done with a socket
wrench.  However the frustration of the last trip to Boston got to me, and
I called around to my various contacts to locate a big valve T head, and
negotiated a deal for a swap.

I am told that the bronze guides oxidize, especially over the winter when
the T types are rarely used. ( for those of us who have winter) . It just
seems that I went through a lot of aggravation and costs to make the car
better for unleaded, where there is no evidence that my non racing use
required the modifications in the first place.

I did not use hardened seats on the first or second head as I had been
warned that they often became dislodged and could destroy the engine.

This whole history should generate some discussion of whether or not it
pays to modify the valves etc. for un leaded gas use, as the cure may be
more dangerous then the disease. Maybe this applies only to T types as the
later cars, especially the later B's were built for unleaded and the
casting procedures for the head may have been modified to accept the
unleaded valve train.

I would be interested to hear comments.

Mike