MGA questions

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGA questions
From: tallen <tallen@csc.sctboces.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 23:06:53 -0400 (EDT)
I have 2 (probably stupid) questions about my MGA which still sits
undesturbed out in my garage.

1)  I got the new banjo bolts and washers for the rear brakes (the banjo
was leaking and the bolts were stripped).  When I replaces these, all the
fluid ran out, of course, and they still leaked.  I gave them a little
something extra with a long wrench and there was a loud snap, and they
tightened another turn or 2 after that and they don't leak now, but... I
can't bleed the brakes with my mightyvac.  Is anyone familiar with the
'snap' I heard?  Does the hole in the banjo bolt need to face any certain
direction.  Is there just so much air that I can't get any suction with
the mightyvac?

2)  When I start the beast, I have to pull the starter switch really hard
and quick.  Just pulling it out to the end of it's travel isn't enough.
Is this normal?  Is there an adjustment?  Do I need a new switch?  I'm
afraid if I ever do get to drive it, it will leave me stranded, or that a
garage mechanic or such won't be able to start it if I'm not around.

Thanks,

Tom, '60 MGA 1600