RE: MGA Questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGA Questions
From: phil sims <phil@wilsongriak.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 10:49:26 -0600
>Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 23:06:53 -0400 (EDT)
>From: tallen <tallen@csc.sctboces.org>
>To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
>Subject: MGA questions
>Sender: owner-mgs@autox.team.net

Tom:
reagarding your rear brake questions...no, the hole in the banjo bolt
doesn't need to face any particular direction. But that "snap"...I would
remove the new bolts and check their conditon. If the old ones were
stripped something did the stripping. I would be suspect of your cylinders.
Perhaps the internal threads are bad. In any event I would consider
replacing the cylinders. they are nor particularly expensive, and if they
have been out of service fro any extended period of time the rubber innards
are likely worn and or leaky. As to the reason you can't bleed the
system... Do the front ones bleed OK? Personally I would abandon the
mity-vac and go to the old fashioned 2-person system.If the fronts bleed
and the rears don't, again I would replace the rear cylinders and try again.

The most likely culprit in your starter problem is the cable itself. Try
detaching it from the switch and operating it. It may be kinked and is
almost certain to be dirty causing friction. You can check the function of
the switch itself by pressing on the protruding button between the posts
(in the front)
If you can push with your thumb and get cranking, the switch is OK.

Best of Luck!!

Phil Sims

>I have 2 (probably stupid) questions about my MGA which still sits
>undesturbed out in my garage.
>
>1)  I got the new banjo bolts and washers for the rear brakes (the banjo
>was leaking and the bolts were stripped).  When I replaces these, all the
>fluid ran out, of course, and they still leaked.  I gave them a little
>something extra with a long wrench and there was a loud snap, and they
>tightened another turn or 2 after that and they don't leak now, but... I
>can't bleed the brakes with my mightyvac.  Is anyone familiar with the
>'snap' I heard?  Does the hole in the banjo bolt need to face any certain
>direction.  Is there just so much air that I can't get any suction with
>the mightyvac?
>
>2)  When I start the beast, I have to pull the starter switch really hard
>and quick.  Just pulling it out to the end of it's travel isn't enough.
>Is this normal?  Is there an adjustment?  Do I need a new switch?  I'm
>afraid if I ever do get to drive it, it will leave me stranded, or that a
>garage mechanic or such won't be able to start it if I'm not around.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tom, '60 MGA 1600

Phil Sims
Wilson-Griak,Inc.