I'm Back

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: I'm Back
From: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 97 23:58:00 PDT
Well, I doubt that I was missed, but it's good to be home after a 3,200
mile odyssey involving a canoeing/hiking/fishing trip to the North Woods of
Minnesota and a visit to the NAMGAR GT in Grapevine, Texas.

I was only at the MGA confab for one day, Friday. As I didn't have my dear
little mkII with me I felt a little hollow hanging about the hotel, so with
my esteemed wife and No. two son I spent most of the weekend visiting
friends next door in Colleyville, Texas.

The only one from the list I saw was Barney. I wish you all could have seen
the MGA with an attitude. Amongst the sixty or so gleaming MG streamliners
it was looking very weatherwise --  besmirched as it was with the
protoplasm of countless insects, dust from the Prudhoe Bay haul road, and
the black trailer covered with spare wheels and tires. It's newly creased
and ravaged offside spoke of a close encounter with a guardrail.

All models were represented at the car show with the exception of the
Twin-cam. I saw a couple of Judson super-charged examples and several very
nicely if not discreetly air-conditioned jobs. Almost all of the cars were
driven in, several from the East coast, with only a couple of trailered
rigs among them. A 1500 coupe, in particular, stole my heart. It was
painted in the original and unusual color of Island Green. Were I
respraying a 1500, I believe I would rationalize opting for this color. I
think it was just a coupe color, but quite striking in an understated way.

Regards,

David F. Darby
Hercules Wilderness, Missouri USA

"It is better to transmit than to receive."