Re: Vacuum advance, or lack thereof...

To: Graham McCann <gmccann@pcug.org.au>
Subject: Re: Vacuum advance, or lack thereof...
From: John Steczkowski <stecz@pswtech.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 18:43:02 -0700
Graham McCann wrote:

> The vacuum actually retards the ignition under load, not advances it.
> Power comes from retarding the ignition.  In many of the rubbernose
> series
> engines owners found that the engine would idle much smoother if the
> vacuum
> was disconnected.  The problem is that the vacuum line comes from the
> inlet
> manifold, not the carby throat and thus is a much greater vacuum,
> especially at idle.  I think this was done to ensure that the engine
> would
> clear unburnt fuel better and so pollute less.  The SU carby was a
> very
> 'dirty' idler, hence the change to other carbies on the US
> specification
> cars.  The vacuum unit spring has a much higher rating to cater for
> the
> greater vacuum.

I hooked up the vaccuum, it starts much much easier and idles much
smoother. I can also get it to idle smoothly at a lower rpm. When I got
the car, the idle was set at about 1200rpm and now I have it set to 800
rpm. The other thing is that it doesn't stumble off idle. Before, I
could get it to die by flooring it while idleing. Now, it won't do that.

> If you refit the hose and note the change in timing setting as you
> refit
> the hose you will find that it will wind on about 10 degrees of
> advance.
> This retards to the desired setting when you accelerate because the
> vacuum
> falls away under engine load but can mean that the car idles very
> roughly.

I haven't reset the timing yet, I'll do that tomorrow.

--
John Steczkowski
PSW Technologies, Inc.