BRG Paint Codes and more

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: BRG Paint Codes and more
From: Alan Lott <lottala@mail.auburn.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 15:25:29 -0500
Hi All,

This is just FYI if anyone is interested. I have recently been in a tiff as
to what paint code to use for respraying the 71 B that I'm getting ready to
restore. I like BRG, but since I found several paint codes listed, (and
much speculation on the actual color from jobbers and the like) I thought I
would try to get a response from PPG (Ditzler) and/or Dupont. I still have
not heard from PPG, but after getting transferred several times within the
Dupont Corperation in Pittsburg, I accidentally (?) was transferred to a
(very surprised) upper level manager at Dupont. Very nice guy though. When
I explained to him what I wanted, he said he'd be glad to run up to the
"archives" if I'd hold on...he came back with several codes, from the late
60s/early 70s, for BRG which varied by automobile manufacturer. Dupont
numbers 8193 (lighter BRG) and 8194 (darker BRG) I had seen before, but a
new one, for me at least, was 32500. This color is listed for a 1971
Jaguar. Also during my quest, I came across this web page with all kinds of
cool colors and codes:

http://www.terrysjag.com/paint.html

Anyway, hope someone else finds this useful.

Regards,

Alan Lott
GTA Dept of RSE
Auburn University