Re: MGB brakes

To: ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU
Subject: Re: MGB brakes
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 20:14:37 EDT

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 21:26:59 -0400 (EDT) Arthur Pfenninger
<ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU> writes:

>       Does anyone know the secret to getting the spring c clips on
>the
>back of the brake cylinders? It too me 2 hours to put 2 new cylinders
>on.
>Using every tool known to man kind as well as every word. I know it
>can't
>take that long but...
>..Art

Art,
  It's real easy, but does take some prior plannin.
  First, before replacing the cylinders, take them to the nearest
hardware store, or large auto parts house.
  Second, ask the owner/manager/clerk/flunky (chose one) to let you look
through the external snap-ring selection.
  Third, select two to meet you specs
  Fourth, pay at the counter and tell the nice man/woman "thank you". If
you are concerned by the Purist Patrol, have they clips wrapped in plain
brown paper.
  Fifth, Back at the homestead, replace the cylinders in the backing
plate and with the use of snap-ring pliers, install the external
snap-rings.

  Sorry I can't remember exactly which size snap-ring to tell you to get,
It's been so long since I replaced mine, after breaking both the spring
clips.

Hope this helps
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT