RE: MGA Wheels

To: <jbit@erols.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: MGA Wheels
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 22:57:28 -0400
> First of all, thanks to all of you who responded to my query
> about MGA instrument panels.
>
> I am looking at a buying a restored '58 MGA.  It's a beautiful
> car . . . but . . . it has steel wheels and I really like wires.
> What are my options?

Learn to appreciate the disc wheels ... or switch to wires ... ;^)

The front is realitvely easy to convert ... just a matter of replacing
the disc wheel hub with a wire wheel hub.  However, the rear is a
bit more difficult cause ya have to replace the rear axle ... 8^0
The disc wheel axle is wider than the wire wheel axle ... if ya fit
wire wheel axles to the disc wheel rear housing then the axles
won't fully engage the differential gears ... not good.  So ... you
will have to locate a 'banjo' wire wheel rear from 'A' or a 'B' (roadster
up to '67).

There are 'bolt-on' wire wheel conversions ... but I don't have first
hand experience with them.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII - with w/w