Was: Knee-capped! Now: Drop-lights!

To: dmeadow@juno.com
Subject: Was: Knee-capped! Now: Drop-lights!
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 97 17:17:38 +0200
>Try a flourescent light.  They won't burn you and you don't have to
>replace the bulb when you break your kneecap on it.
>
>David Littlefield
>Houston, TX

About drop lights: There are some very nice ones on the market, fluorescent
lights
that can be operated from the car's 12 V system.
That sounded really attractive to me. I bought one, from what I thought was
a quite reputable German manufacturer (i.e. not made in Chaiwan...).

The very first time I had a roadside emergency (no, no, no, not with the MG,
but with my daily driver) at night, I plugged the thing in.

It worked just fine.

Initially, that is.

After about one hour, the drop light stopped working....

What went wrong, is that the transistor (that drives the transformer, for
the voltage converter) ran so hot that
it quit altogether. Obviously a design flaw (no sufficient heat sink for the
transistor).

The moral of the story: Don't use a 12 V drop light  for too long a time, it
might break down!

Bert.

"Why have most 12 V accessories (drop lights, fans, car alarm systems, most
aftermarket electrical aftermarket stuff) such crappy connection cables ?"