Re: musings and a question

To: mgrick@ptd.net
Subject: Re: musings and a question
From: Brian & Patricia LaVoie <BPLAVOIE@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 22:20:35 -0700
Rick Brown wrote:

> Brian & Patricia LaVoie wrote:
> >
> > And the new cars are boring, too. Just had to trade in my '92 Geo on a
> > '97 Civic. Picked the Civic b/c it was quiet, comfortable, and
> > reportedly very reliable (I commute 70 miles/day). Wish I could have
> > found something with a little character, though; everything out there
> > seems about the same. I was hoping to hold out for the new Beetle, but I
> > was told by the dealership it would be around $20K - ouch. I could
> > justify the boring car with the MG safely tucked in the garage. The
> > civic's for commuting, the MG for everything else. And don't lose hope,
> > there are a growing number of us under-30 enthusiasts out there!
> >
> > Brian LaVoie
> > '97 Honda Civic (Boring, but rock-solid)
> > '74 MGB (Suprisingly solid, and hardly boring)
>
> Why the Honda? Why not get another MG to commute with - I commute daily
> in my 74 MGBGT even in the winter - and we can have some severe weather
> here in NJ. They are cheap (compared to buying a new car), easy to fix
> (well sometimes) , always eyed with envy by other drivers!
>
> Rick

The thought had crossed my mind. Maybe a 1974 1/2 BGT with factory air
conditioning? I could have repaired anything myself, and god knows my 74
B has been the most reliable car we own of late. Unfortunately, I didn't
have a spare $6k in CASH to throw into an infinanceable lbc, and old a/c
systems are getting very expensive to recharge/repair. 70 miles/day
commuting on the highway in summer temps dressed in the standard
business monkey suit is unbearable without a/c. (Candy-ass, I know.)
Furthermore, if anything did go wrong, the prospect of having to sort
out the problem in said monkey suit on I-95 in Southwestern Connecticut
is daunting. We hear monthly of poor blokes getting picked off while
changing tires; the commuters up here are downright belligerent.
Consequently, we have a new Civic. Rest assured I'll trade it in when
the *NEW* MG arrives on our side of the pond. The B, however, will stay.

Brian