Re: MGB TwinCam?

To: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Subject: Re: MGB TwinCam?
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 22:57:22 -0600
I am no expert in MGA Twin Cam engines, but this is what I foresee as a huge
problem.  Your MGB block (and pushrod MGA blocks as well) is machined with
oil galleries to oil the cam.  With no cam, this would be a major loss of
oil pressure, and would not work.  Now, if you could make something to plug
off the place where the cam is, that might work.  I am not sure, though, how
you would drive the distributor, or where the distributor would be mounted.
On the A Twin Cam, the distributor was mounted on the left hand front side
of the engine (not on the right hand back of the block).  This would be
another hole to plug.  Also, you would need the twin cam timing chain cover
and tensioner.  This is really not as simple as just bolting a different
head on the same block, like a cross flow is.

>Ok...here is one to get you thinking.
>
>Of the course of lunch today, I had a discussion with a co-worker about
>building an MGB engine with an MGA twincam head...although we were pretty
>sure that it WON"T work.  So my next suggestion was, "if they can make a
>CrossFlow MGB/MGA head, why not reproduce a TwinCam head for MGA/MGB?"
>
>Any thoughts?  I know I would gladly shell out $2500 for a reproduction
>twincam head and manifold.
>
>And anyone have the email/webaddress for the guy who makes the CrossFlow
>heads?
>
>TIA,
>
>Kai M. Radicke -- mowogmg@pil.net @ 1966 MGB -- http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg
>
>Dialogue Internet -- Intelligent Internet Solutions
>
>Free Citizen Ship to the KMR (Kai's Military Republic), Passport included.

Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C