Re: Heater valve & ole #4 (was: Re: The old hotfoot routine)

To: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Heater valve & ole #4 (was: Re: The old hotfoot routine)
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:36:15 -0400
Jason F. Dutt wrote:

> ----------
> > From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
> > To: Jason F. Dutt <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
> > Cc: mgs@autox.team.net; Carol <car@texas.net>
> > Subject: Re: The old hotfoot routine
> > Date: Monday, July 28, 1997 1:57 PM

> just
> > > that:  absorb heat, not repel it.  I would assume that the dissipation
> > > would still occur, it just wouldn't make it to your feet, as the
> material
> > > would insulate and absorb the heat energy before your soles melted to
> your
> > > carpets.
> >
> > Jason,
> > Think of insulation as "slowing down the transmission of heat".  The
> > thicker and better the insulation, the slower the heat can go through it.
> > If you heavily insulate the firewall, the heat travels through it slower
> > and your feet have to endure less heat in a specific amount of time.
>
> My mistake.  This makes more sense.  I guess I forgot physics 101 for a
> minute. :-)
>
> > I don't turn the hot water tap off because supposedly that inhibits
> > cooling of No.4 cylinder.
>
> Really?  Any comments from the peanut gallery?

(Oh, what the heck - I'll chime in with flame bait.)  I've seen this
nonsense comment before and don't believe it in the least.  Remember
that this car was often produced without a heater at all.  In many
markets, particularly the home market, a heater was an optional extra.
I had to laugh at the thought of driving around in these temperatures
with the heater radiator on.  Good grief.

Okay, I've done my best to get somebody's goat ;>) so let's hear an
explantion that makes sense from someone who buys into this theory.  I
say that what you are doing by leaving the heater valve open is simply
lowering the overall coolant temperature by just a bit.  Number four
wouldn't benefit any more than number one.

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/