Re: Hole near tranny...(plus musing)

To: Arthur Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Subject: Re: Hole near tranny...(plus musing)
From: Wally Teto <monadnoc@wgserv.crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 1997 03:43:07 -0700
Arthur Pfenninger wrote:

>         Not sure what the bar is but I would do this, get some spray on
> engine cleaner ,it costs about a buck and works great. Clean the engine
> then inspect it for leaks. I just read somewhere where if you spray foot
> power all over the clean engine it works in helping find the leaks. If you
> have oil coming from the tranny and engine then you have a bad seal which
> is a real pain to fix.
> ...Art
>
> On Sat, 2 Aug 1997 Wizzrd1001@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Whilst looking under my 74 1/2 BGT this weekend, trying to find am oil drip,
> > which I'v found comes from my oil filter, and also at the seam between my
> > engine block and tranny, any ideas as to how to fix?? I'm not too technical
> > yet, and so far, can't really be specific as to what is what as far as
>enging
> > and tranny go...
> > Anyways, I've noticed, right near the gearbox drain plug, there's a bar that
> > runs from front to back, maybe a foot long, like a support bad, right above
> > it, in what appears to be the begining of the driveshaft tunnerl to the
>rear,
> > is a hole, maybe 2-3 in. in diamter, no threads, not like it's broken, what
> > is this?? It's very dirty in side, I was wondering if this affects
> > anything...if this confuses a lot of people, tell me, I'll try to do some
> > research and get my terms straight, but, ya know, gettin yourself all dirty
> > cause of you MG is lots of fun on the weekends, I would assume that's only
> > the case though when you know you'll be able to drive your MG the next
>day...
> >                                                     Drive fun?? <--need a
> > catchy ending phrase...
> >                                                     Ian Wisbon 74 1/2 BGT
> > P.S. To the posting about automatic gas service, and the Teens flipping
> > burgers at McD's...I'm 16, I love my MG, I'm hoping to share that love with
> > 58 Mini, and would being able to one day walk into a 2 story garage and have
> > to choose between the
> > '69 B, the MGA, the (heaven help me) MGC, and it's bro, the MGC GT, the Mini
> > Cooper, the Austin Healey 3000, the Bugeye, either the green, or the red, or
> > a nice TR3 or something a little older and British....None of which I own,
> > but, hope to one day do so...I thank my dad for getting me into this, and
>I'm
> > hoping that when I'm old enough to have a son who drives, there are still
> > cars like this to be found!

Actually Art, this "powder" technique was from the old days of railroad
where they used it to find cracked train wheels.  They would soak the
wheel in something like oil or kerosene, dry it off, then powder.  The
powder will absorb fluid leaking out of any cracks.  We use the same
test in the welding shop, looking for cracked welds in stainless where
magnaflux methods obviously don't work.  Only we use more modern
products that come in aerosol cans (penetrant and developer).  But yes
that method should work, just make sure you have a dry engine after
cleaning or any damp spots will soak into powder and mask possible
leaks.  Use the cheapest powder you can find.

Wally / Templeton, MA
71 MGB with only front brakes (so far)