Hole near tranny...(plus musing)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Hole near tranny...(plus musing)
From: Wizzrd1001@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 17:52:05 -0400 (EDT)
Whilst looking under my 74 1/2 BGT this weekend, trying to find am oil drip,
which I'v found comes from my oil filter, and also at the seam between my
engine block and tranny, any ideas as to how to fix?? I'm not too technical
yet, and so far, can't really be specific as to what is what as far as enging
and tranny go...
Anyways, I've noticed, right near the gearbox drain plug, there's a bar that
runs from front to back, maybe a foot long, like a support bad, right above
it, in what appears to be the begining of the driveshaft tunnerl to the rear,
is a hole, maybe 2-3 in. in diamter, no threads, not like it's broken, what
is this?? It's very dirty in side, I was wondering if this affects
anything...if this confuses a lot of people, tell me, I'll try to do some
research and get my terms straight, but, ya know, gettin yourself all dirty
cause of you MG is lots of fun on the weekends, I would assume that's only
the case though when you know you'll be able to drive your MG the next day...
                                                    Drive fun?? <--need a
catchy ending phrase...
                                                    Ian Wisbon 74 1/2 BGT
P.S. To the posting about automatic gas service, and the Teens flipping
burgers at McD's...I'm 16, I love my MG, I'm hoping to share that love with a
58 Mini, and would being able to one day walk into a 2 story garage and have
to choose between the
'69 B, the MGA, the (heaven help me) MGC, and it's bro, the MGC GT, the Mini
Cooper, the Austin Healey 3000, the Bugeye, either the green, or the red, or
a nice TR3 or something a little older and British....None of which I own,
but, hope to one day do so...I thank my dad for getting me into this, and I'm
hoping that when I'm old enough to have a son who drives, there are still
cars like this to be found!