Re: Points (MG-TD)

To: Paul Gallian <gallianp@onyx.xtalwind.net>
Subject: Re: Points (MG-TD)
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 20:59:40 -0400
Paul Gallian wrote:

> I have been following the points thread.
> I am in need of points, condenser,  and possibly a new coil for my  52
> TD
> (3 and one years of work almost running).
> I followed the spark-plug thread and purchased new plugs at a local
> parts
> store for a little over $1.xx each.  (Moss was over $2.00 each).  Is
> there
> a part number for points, condenser, coil.  Or am I stuck with mail
> order
> from Mo$$, Abingdon et al.
>
> Question--->   part numbers  for  points, condenser and coil for local
>
> purchasing?.....
>
> Thanks
>
> +--------------------------------------------------------+
>  "Remember even a kick in the caboose is a step forward."
>                                -- Texas Bix Bender
>
> 1952- MG-TD
> Paul Gallian
> gallianp@onyx.xtalwind.net
> gallian_p@popmail.firn.edu
> http://www.xtalwind.net/~gallianp/index.html
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Paul,
        There are alternate sources, not the least of which is NAPA.
Ignition components sold by NAPA are under the Echlin label. Go to your
neighborhood NAPA store and ask them to get you a copy of the Echlin
catalog #104 "Ignition, Electrical System Parts, Early Model Cars &
Light Trucks Thru 1974".
     The Contact Ass'y (points) is Model #CS201, the coil is Model IC64,
the rotor is Model EP41. The Condenser is an EP29, but if you have an
early distributor, your condenser is soldered to the plate.
Electrically, the EP29 is the same component.
     BTW, that same coil, IC64 is spec'd for all MG's from 1949-1974,
the EP41 rotor is spec'd for all except the MGC (it takes the EP44). The
points, CS204 are spec'd for Magnettes and early MGA's, CS207 is for
everything from 1956 to 1974 (all models). There is no cap for
1946-1955, but there are caps listed for all other models.

You can find your nearest NAPA store by calling 1-800-LET NAPA. Usual
disclaimers apply. I have no financial tie-in with NAPA. I owned one
once. Then intelligence came back.

Bud Krueger
52TD