Re: 3M Rubberized Undercoating on inside floors

To: "David M. Hall" <dhall@vcd.hp.com>
Subject: Re: 3M Rubberized Undercoating on inside floors
From: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 17:46:33 -0700
At 01:28 PM 8/5/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hey all..
>
>I've recently ripped out all of my carpet and seats in order to inspect
the floor on my 74 Midget.

>The verdict:  It's good!  Minor surface rust here and there, but nothing
major.  Now, I am going to take a wire wheel to it and get the surface rust
off, and then paint it.  After that, I'm going to use 3M undercoating.

>Here's the question:
>
>Has anyone sprayed undercoating over paint, and did they have any problems
with chemical interactions?  I'm planning on using rustoleum rusty metal
primer, and rustoleum flat black over that.

>Thanks!
>
>Dave Hall

Hi Dave. I did. I bought a gallon of undercoating from Dutch Boy in the
late 80's. Of course, I didn't know what I was doing. I just sanded the
inside rust away and painted the stuff on the floor of the cockpit and
coated the trunk with it. Well, I obviously used the wrong stuff because in
the heat it still is tacky. A friend of mine coated his with some stuff
which looks like a "step" strip on an airplane wing. His actually dried.
There's been no more rust though on my car. I just have to be carefull when
putting things in the trunk. The carpets are stuck to the floorboards
pretty well now too.

Be careful what substance you use. Make sure it actually cures hard.

Craig Wiper
early '74 B

Craig Wiper
craigw@sonic.net