K&N Filter and Weber Carb...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: K&N Filter and Weber Carb...
From: Wizzrd1001@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 01:33:38 -0400 (EDT)
On my MG, the PO installed an SK Racing carb, a clone of the Weber DCOE, the
air filter he was using was a Superflo, well, it was really dirty, and the
bracket broke, so, it kept falling off and melting against the headers...I
replaced it with an oval 3" high K&N Filtercharger or whatever...anyways,
after some banging to make room, (the SK carb takes up a lot of space...) and
getting the K&N filter on, I started the car up, to see how it liked being
able to breathe out of something not clogged with dirt and oil...Well, it
started, but, when revving the engine, it sounds almost as if the choke is
still on, and it kind of stutters, and rumbles, and backfires occasionally,
my friend had said he could hear the carb. sucking the air in. Is the carb.
sucking too much air?? I mean, should I adjust the carb to pull in less air,
or, should I maybe use 1 1/2" stacks?? I don't want to run the car in case
it's drawing in too much air, any ideas?? My friend (who was watching as I
started it) said it seemed like the carb was make the filter vibrate, I'm not
too sure about this though, any help is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!               Ian Wisbon  74 1/2 MGB GT