Re: DIY vs. Garage Repairs (Re: It's about time!)

To: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: DIY vs. Garage Repairs (Re: It's about time!)
From: Arthur Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 07:44:40 -0400 (EDT)
        Air tools are rated by the pressure necessary to operate them
(psi) and the average consumption that the tool uses(cfm). As the tool
uses air the tank on the compressor will supply air until it runs low then
the compressor will turn on to refill the tank. If the tool is using more
air than the compressor can supply the tool will run slow and the
compressor will run constantly. A bigger compressor will supply more cfm
and this is a consideration if you plan on using 2 or more air tools at a
time, or some extremely air hungry tool. The Sears oilo less 5 hp puts out
7.1 cfm at 90 psi. This will suffice for 995 of the jobs that any
hobbyiest needs. I say 995 because someone may not agree with 100%. A
standard compressor (the kind with a seperate motor) will put out more air
for the same hp and will run quieter. It will however cost more and may
require a seperate 220 line.
        As far as air tools go the spray gun and sander will use the most
air, because they run longer. The impact wrench only uses short bursts of
air and therefore less of it. Most 1/2 inch impact wrenches require 90 psi
and 5 or less cfm. Harbor Freight has a nice one that puts out up to 450
ft lbs. and uses 4 cfm at 90 psi. Remember the Sears puts out 7.1 cfm @90
psi. Looking at the Haynes manual for suspension parts the higest torque
is 70 ft. lbs. One nut in the rear is 150 ft. lbs.
        You can have the biggest compressor in the world and it won't put
out 1 foot lb more of torque than it is rated for. In other words a 3/8
air ratchet producing 50 lbs of torque can't be made to produce 150 ft lbs
by giving it more air. Harbor Freight sells decent tools at a decent
price. Compare the prices with Home Depot and if you feel more comfortable
with them then go there. Air tools are cheap because they don't have
motors. If you plan on using the tool daily then spend more, but how often
do you need to cut off a muffler. For $10 you can get a decent high speed
air cutter. If it only worked once it would pay for itself. As far as what
tools are needed start with the impact wrench and sockets. A recent job I
did involved removing the lower control arms. There is no way I could have
gotten the nuts off without an impact wrench. If I had not had one the
garage would have charged over $200 in labor. Next a cut off tool ,a 3/8
air ratchet and an air hammer. They also have a great floor jack for $52
it must cost them almost that much to ship it. They SHIP FOR FREE! For
body work a HVLP spray gun and a DA sander. Rember to look for the lowest
cfm rating. For about $10 and the cost of a base you can get a good dial
indicator (Andy this is what you need to check your rotors for run out). A
definite must is their digital multimeter for $10 and while you are at it
the magnetic parts dish for $5.
        As a previous posting said the catalog comes out about every 2
weeks. Save them because the prices go up and down. When you are ready to
order use the best prices you can find. Let the flames begin!
....Art