Re: Test - Please ignore!!!

To: Carol <car@texas.net>
Subject: Re: Test - Please ignore!!!
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 18:01:51 -0400
I'd like to caution against this type of speculation,
because rumours start this way. I'm sure the Good Times
crap began like this.

Carol wrote:
> The internet has been goofed up for almost 24 hours now.

  There is no "internet". It's a big amorphous glob, like
a system of roads and highways.

  My little corner of the world has been fine, but I wasn't
getting mail either. Implying something might be wrong
somewhere and affect some routes and some people, but this
is probably always the case at all times in some level.

  I just get antsy seeing rumours started like "the
internet is broken".

> Maybe the ISPs are putting in new "firewalls" or some such...

  Packet handlers don't have firewalls. End users need
firewalls to protect what they have from people on the
outside. The bulk of traffic is carried by "packet handlers",
and the machines are their business. They have nothing
to protect with a firewall.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada