Re: Ball Joint Blues

To: DBHMGB@aol.com
Subject: Re: Ball Joint Blues
From: "William C. Mills" <williem@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 1997 20:19:24 -0400
At 06:46 PM 8/9/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Greetings to all!
>
>It's been quite a while since I've been on the list.  Hello to all who don't
>know me,  and to those who do know me, all I can say is I'll be careful! (I
>was also dhughes@troweprice.com)!  Well much has changed in my life, I've
>been very busy!  I've still got my 80 B and she gets better all the time.
> I've also added a 1972 B-GT to be the daily driver.  She's mechanically
>strong and cosmetically challenged.  Very little rust.  Right now I'm trying
>to replace the steering rack boots and I can not get the ball joints loose.
> Any tips without destroying the joint?
>
>Anybody want to buy a set of rebuilt SU's?  Everthing is there.
>
>Dan Hughes
>80 B
>72 B-GT

my remedy was to unscrew the nut on the ball joint to the end of the
threads, place a floor jack under the joint and jack up to put pressure on
the bottom of the joint.  this will probably not get the joint to break
loose, but it helps.  Now put one hammer on the back side of the eye and
strike the opposite side of the eye sharply (eye protection req'd).  If she
doesn't go then go for the pickle fork.  (some of the auto parts places i.e.
Advance & Auto Zone will lend you a pickle fork).

The last time I went through this, I found that after I got the ball joint
loose, I could not get the tie rod end to unscrew from the tie rod.  So the
ball joint turned out to be the easier problem to solve.

Bill Mill
74 BGT