Re: $10,500 MGB?

To: drded@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: $10,500 MGB?
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 19:19:04 EDT
On Mon, 11 Aug 1997 16:00:37 -0500 (CDT) drded@ix.netcom.com (David
Deutsch) writes:(snips)
>Hello John,
>Don't get me going here!!! Of course there are MGBs worth every penny
>of $10,500. Unfortunately if the car in question is "original" and
>only
>has 5,000 miles on it, then that may very well be a liability. All the
>
>rubber will probably need replacement. One of the worst things you can
>
>do to these cars is not use them.
>. I'm going all out on my 79 and am sure that it will not come out to
less
>than that $10,500 you think is astronomical. You know what? after that
>
>one's done I'll get another project under way. I hope to have my 79
>ready by NAMGBR/MGs of Baltimore Ltd.'s MG '98 in July.
>Safety Fast, David Deutsch

I agree, there are certainly many cars owned by members of this list
worth all of 10500 although im sure many of them will have "cost" a great
deal more -
for example. my GT was purchased for 2000 a bit less than a year ago, i
make a point of NOT actually tallying up what i spend on them but i would
guess that i have put in about 5000 and literally hundreds of hours
(which you cant value cos its "having fun" and therefore actually SAVES
money since youd be out spending it somewhere else!)
With the exception of the chrome which i have yet to tackle, this car is
now in better condition than ANY second hand car you could buy for 7000
or even 10500 and i use it more or less daily (sunny days are for
roadsters!) so the way i see it i have created a set of cheap wheels
which also just happen to be my proudest posession!!
Similarly my 69 is a labour of love, since it is not yet cosmetically
finished i can use it in the rain, with muddy boots, put kids, dogs (well
not the bloody dogs....) and bags of garbage in it and not care - it runs
reliably and regularly (all the maechanicals are now done) and as of
today has its very own plate( the 72 is relieved).I estimate that when it
is finished it will likely have cost 9-10000, it wont be for sale but i
guess its market value might be 7500 tops - so i will have all that
fun,meet all kinds of people, learn a lot, and stay out of trouble for
effectively 1500-2500 - hell you can spend that on dinners in a 2 year
period!
I can imagine that for others the fun might just be to spend all the
money in one lump and enjoy the driving, or even just the ownership -
again 10500 for a good used car aint much in 97.
Lastly, on a purer note, Im a trader by day, i buy and sell for whatever
people will sell or buy at any given time - the key is to know who will
accept less or offer more so if someone is offering at 10500 and theres a
buyer at 11000 the guy is too cheap! conversely if the phone doesnt ring
he's soon going to know that hes pitching the wrong level.God bless the
free market!!!!

mike robson
69 roadster(official sunny day-long distance daily driver)
70 BGT (official grey/cold day daily driver and 4th child)
72 roadster(backup sunny day and shorter trip car, faithful retainer,
old friend who will       receive another, third lease on life in due
time)
96 jeep (for pissing down/icy/multiple passenger trips/collecting spares
too big for a B.....)