Re: Engine Compartment Detailing

To: wake@DIXIENET.COM
Subject: Re: Engine Compartment Detailing
From: Wally Teto <monadnoc@wgserv.crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 05:36:46 -0700
wake@DIXIENET.COM wrote:

> The plan is to do the following things.
>
> 1. Replace Clutch.  This seems pretty straight forward.
> 2.  Paint Engine.  Any hints here?  I am still trying to get the engine clean
> enough to paint.  Can I just use black engine spray paint?
> 3.  Remove, strip, and paint all the other parts (heater, radiator, etc.)
>What
> parts of the radiator can I paint?
> 4.  Replace all rubber hoses and clamps?  This is needed.
> 5.  Replace gaskets, on exhaust and around SU's.
> 6.  Check the valve clearances.  I was getting a little valve noise.
> 7.  Rewrap the wiring harness.
> 8.  Strip all paint, oil etc. from engine compartment, and have body
> shop paint the compartment when the rest of the vehicle is resprayed.
>
> Am I missing anything here?  Or is there anything else I should look at
> while the engine is out.  Anything I should do to the Gear Box (non
> O/D)?
>
> As usual, thanks for all the help.
>
> Glenn

  I did the same when I swapped engines (an 18V in, the 18GK out) a few
weeks back.  I totally painted my radiator, fins and all and doesn't
seem to bother it, runs dead on Normal.  I would drop the oil pan and
clean any sludge out of it, check the oil pump, change the gaskets on
the side covers where the lifter access is.  Also check for any wear on
the starter pinion gear teeth and the flywheel teeth as well.  I pulled
just the engine, leaving the tranny in and it was a bit of a juggle
getting it back in but only 20 minutes worth of jockeying finally did
it.  Probably some other things will come to mind after I send this!
Have fun.

Wally / Templeton, MA
71 MGB finally registered (antique plates)