Re: TD Dash

To: "Mike Razor" <mrazor@kih.net>
Subject: Re: TD Dash
From: syd saperstein <tcsyd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 23:18:02 -0500 (CDT)
Mike,  fill the existing holes with short pieces of wooden dowel available
from your local lumber store.  Before you go there, measure the size of the
old holes and buy a dowel as close in diameter on the large side as you can
find. cut the dowel to a length that will fill the depth of the hole you
want to fill, sand the leading tip to a sort of a point, coat the outside of
the dowel with carpenters glue and drive the dowel into the hole until flush
with the wood surface.  Allow the glue to dry, then you can drill the
appropriate size pilot hole for the screws you are going to use right into
the new solid surface (probably the center of the dowel itself).  that
should give you a onetime permanent fix. You will probably get other advice
about the latest chemical concoctions on the market, but I've tried all the
latest goo and fillers that they have on the market and they all fail
eventually (specially if you have to undo the screws for any reason later.
Once you do that you have to start all over again with more filler.  The
above repair will be as strong or stronger than the original wood itself. At