Re: Opinion on new MG ,racist slurs..etc

To: patrick bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Subject: Re: Opinion on new MG ,racist slurs..etc
From: Graham McCann <gmccann@pcug.org.au>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 08:50:47 +1000
At 07:45 am 18/8/97 -0700, patrick bailey wrote:
>I gotta get in on this one!
>
>1.  Calling a car or bike a rice-burner isn't a "racist slur"Geez lighten
up! We are getting so PC
>that you can't say anything.I think this list should be about anything car
and LBC related and if
>you don't like the thread ...DON"T READ IT !!!.How would you go about
"kicking someone off the
>list?Even if someone was to use the "N" word he would be ignored by all
and if no one responded he
>would go away just delete anything from him without reading it and he
would tire soon enough and
>take his hate elsewhere.The term "riceburner"comes from those Harley guys
and it becomes part of our
>jargon without any slurs intended.
>
>2   The new MGF I don't like the styling much too "gum drop "looking as
for how it drives I don't
>know but I would like to find out!

The new MGF is probably the best car I have ever owned.  It is beautifully
built, is a real head turner around the streets.  Those in the know who
have driven the MGF, the BMW Z3 and the new Porsche Boxter put the MGF as
good or better, for a fraction of the price.

It handles like a dream and I find that it will track around curves at up
to three times the posted advisory speed signs!  It is achieving fuel
economy at about twice the miles per gallon of an MGB around town and
almost three times on the highway.  Keeping to our stupid speed limits is a
real problem.  It has a power output equal to the MGC and MGB GT V8.  I
have the VVC engined model.

It is comfortable, quiet and very safe (twin airbags, ABS).  We drive long
distances in this country and I would take an MGF with a hardtop fitted and
aircon installed on a trip I would think twice about in most other cars.

I have driven and/or owned every model MGB, including the GT V8 and the
1980 GT LE and this car is so far ahead (and so it should be) it is hard to
believe the badge.

There is a book called Project Phoenix, the birth of the MGF, by Ian Adcock
and published by Bloomsbury which is well worth a read.

Graham
97 MGF

Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
gmccann@pcug.org.au