Re: Brake modultaion...help! SOLVED!

To: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil
Subject: Re: Brake modultaion...help! SOLVED!
From: britcars@juno.com (Lawrence J Alexander)
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 16:19:28 EDT
On Tue, 19 Aug 1997 13:50:04 -0500 (CDT) todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil
(Todd Mullins) writes:
>REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER writes:
>
>> [ ... ]  If someone decided to take
>> out the shims and torque it like an american car would be done you
>will have
>> problems. The torqing of the nut only squeezes the inner part of the
>bearing
>> (that does not move) between the castleated nut/washer and the cone
>with
>> shimms.
>
>This is something that I've never understood about the 'B, and when I
>can't understand something about the typically anvil-simple 'B, it
>bugs
>the holy shit out of me.

Sorry to interfere with your religious excremental annoyance, but there
is a reason for leaving the spacer in place and using shims to set the
bearing pre-load......

When the castellated nut is tightened against, in order, the outer
bearing's inner race, the shims, the spacer, the inner bearing's inner
race and, finally, the seal support, you effectively secure the outer end
of the stub axle back against the inner end and provide a much larger
diameter axle for the hub to rotate on. This added strength can be very
important if you drive the car hard!

Also, what's the objection to setting it up the way the factory intended?
Sure, it take a bit longer but - when you are finished - you know the
castellated nut is tight enough not to come off without putting too much
load on the bearings themselves.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center