Superchargers on sports cars?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Superchargers on sports cars?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 01:25:15 +0000
Bill Eastman wrote>>
> Future Midget:
> Mid Engine rear drive to use FWD component for cost reasons
> Under 2 ilter DOHC 4  with possible blower option
> Under 2300 lbs
> 2 seat convertable
>
> Future B type
> Front engine rear drive preferred
> 2.5 - 3 liter V-6 or big 4 with balance shafts with blower as an option
> Under 2700 lbs
> 2 seat convertable and 2+2 coupe

        This got me thinking.  Superchargers are gaining in popularity, but
usually in big sedans, where the goal is to get the same power as
the old model with a smaller engine, not necessarily higher
performance.  I can't think of any supercharged sports cars currently
being made, with the exception of the Benz SLK.  I know VW had a
supercharger in the Corrado for a while, and the Toyota MR2 was
supercharged back in 1987 (fastest 0-30 time Road and Track had ever
tested up to that point, BTW).  Were there any supercharged
non-exotics that have slipped my mind?  I'm not counting Saleen
Mustangs, even though they're practically factory-built.
Scott

In the Life's-Not-Fair department, I recently drove a supercharged
Miata.  The kit was totally bolt-on, no fabrication, and looked,
sounded, and performed like it was a factory option.  I guess
sometime in my life I'm going to have to restore a car that uses a
Chevy small-block, just so I can have an 800-page catalog of goodies
to choose from.