odometer symptoms

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: odometer symptoms
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 01:25:15 +0000
I'm having an interesting problem with my odometer, and wondering
what it's indicative of.
        When the odometer has to turn more than three wheels at a time, such
as going from 89899.9 to 89900.0, it will sometimes hang for a few
miles, and then start moving again.  When it hit 90000.0, it actually
stopped for about 10 miles.  the cable is new, but as far as I know,
everything else is original.  I don't have the right-angle adaptors
on the tranny or the gauge.
                Also, my tenths' wheel doesn't move smoothly, like a
sweep-second
hand.  It actually moves a small increment at a time, like a second
hand "ticking".  Is this normal, or is it wearing out, as well?  It
moves five small "ticks" for every tenth of a mile.
 Scott