Re: more japanese knockoffs

To: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Subject: Re: more japanese knockoffs
From: drake@direct.ca (len drake)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 09:36:10 -0700

>On Wed, 20 Aug 1997 01:25:15 +0000 "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
>writes:
>>>   If you had instead started with the thought that
>>> "knocking off other cars are bad", then you'd see that
>>> it really applied to everyone.
>>>
>>>   Would american manufacturers ever make a compact car if
>>> the japanese hadn't done it first?
>>>
>>>   Would the Ford Probe or Eagle Talon ever exist if the
>>> Japanese hadn't made the sport compact market what it
>>> is today?
>>>
>>>   Would ford have made the xxxx if chevy hadn't been
>>> first with the yyyy?
>>>
>>>   It goes on.
>>>
>>> - --
>>> Trevor Boicey
>>> Ottawa, Canada
>>> tboicey@brit.ca
>>>
>>Trevor,
>>      Actually, would the Probe or Eagle even exist if the foreign
>>car
>>companies hadn't agreed to help with the development?  After all, the
>>Probe is basically a Mazda MX-6 with Ford badges (I've always thought
>>Mazda had much more input into the "joint" effort that Ford did.),
>>and the Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Mitsubishi Eclipse are the
>>same car with some minor styling differences.  I don't know who was
>>actually in on the original design.  I realize that these aren't
>>knock-offs, they're actually sister cars, but how many dodge/plymouth
>>cars can you think of that are actually Mistubishis with American
>>badges on them?  (I can think of three off the top of my head.)  The
>>first Geo Prisms were japanese-built cars with some minor cosmetic
>>changes to them. (Toyotas, I think).
>>      It's funny to that some cars we think of as being
>>all-American, like
>>the Jeep Wrangler, are manufactured completely in different
>>countries, whereas the Honda Accord just recently made some consumer
>>group's approved list of Made-in-America products.
>>Scott
>>Scott Gardner
>>gardner@lwcomm.com
>>www.lwcomm.com/~gardner
>>In 1987, when it was making my S-10, Chevrolet was advertising itself as
>"The Hearbeat of America."  The V-6 heartbeat in my S-10 was made in
>Mexico.
>Bob

Hi Bob - last time I checked, Mexico was still part of America,
along with a few other easily forgotten countries.

Cheers,

Len Drake
Kelowna, B.C. CANADA

P.S. Maybe it's only me, but I find it ironic that we talk about
racist slurs under the heading "Jap knockoffs".  I find the word
Jap offensive and wouldn't think of using it to describe my
Japanese friends.