Re: Suspension rebuild

To: "Nory" <Nory@webtv.net>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Suspension rebuild
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 97 10:20:54 -0400
>I'm planning a kingpin/suspension rebuild (since the Midget wouldn't
>pass inspection today without it), and am wondering if any listers can
>come up with any "while-I'm-at-its" that I haven't thought of.  I
>already have the major suspension kit and plan to also replace the
>springs, rack boots, and tie rod ends.  Is there anything else I should
>do while I have it all apart?
>
>If anyone else has done this work already, do you have any tips/tricks
>to help me along?  Any specific problems I might run into, that I should
>be ready for?
>
>One more thing - Since I expect the car to be on jack stands for several
>days (I don't have much free time to work on it right now), where should
>I place the jack stands to best support the car, yet ensure the
>suspension is easily accessible?

I put the jack stands under the front bumper (78 w/ Rubber) to stabilize,
as well as at the level of the jack holes for weight support. From the
looks of the list the only thing I can add is the brakes and bearings?
Check the A-Arms for out of round bushing holes. Usually not a problem
unless the car has been smacked before. The biggest problem I think you
will run into is getting the bushings bored for the new kingpins. Quite a
discussion on that earlier this year. I hope you have a good local
machine shop. If you have any specific questions as you start let me
know, I just did this in the Spring.

Larry Macy
78 Midget