Re: Can't go over 3500 rpm

To: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Can't go over 3500 rpm
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 12:22:13 -0500
Adrian Jones wrote:

> Hi folks,
>         Coming home one day it suddenly wouldn't  rev over 3500rpm <snip>

>        I've put in new points, condenser, rotor, plugs, electronic fuelpump.
> I've tried swapping the dist cap and plug wires with old but good ones (I
> think).

Coil? Did you swap that? What is the primary voltage going into the coil? Where
is the resistor?How about the spark plug gap? Too high? Cut the gap down to .020
and see if the behavior changes. If it is different I'd say you're looking at a
coil problem.

> I took the SU carbs apart and cleaned the insides, checked
> the float height and messed about with the mixture.  The "pistons" seem to
> go up and down smoothly.  Removing the air filters didn't help.

What is the plug color? If they are lean, then you may have a clogged fuel lines
(or a clogged fuel filter). If they are rich, I would again look at the ignition
side. Also, make sure your pollution control stuff ain't doing anything weird.
In particular, make sure the gulp valve doesn't have a hole in it. You might
disconnect this stuff and assure no leaks to the intake manifold until after the
problem is repaired.

>          The compression is 140 +/- 5 on all cylinders. The timing is spot
> on (12BTDC) and so is the dwell (60 degrees).  I suppose I should re-check
> the valve clearances but somehow I don't think that is the problem.

I'd sure like to know your total advance at 3,500 rpm. Should be around 30+
degrees. Can you measure that? Good timing lights can deal with advance. Can you
tell from your distributor if the mechancial advane is working? Vacuum advance
working? Hose not leaking?

>         I'll be ordering a new distributor cap and plugs wires from Moss
> (unless someone knows of a local source- this is a 1275 Midget) - is there
> anything else I should add to the list.  Should I go ahead and get new
> needles and jets?

No. Nothing points to that.

>         Anything else I could check on?  Many thanks for any replies.

Old gas. Dead cat in tail pipe. Bad Karma. Engine overheating.

--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still