Re: Electronic Fuel Pump

To: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Electronic Fuel Pump
From: Don Mathis <donmathis@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 13:11:29 -0400 (EDT)
At 12:56 PM 8/22/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi folks,
>        Thanks to John Nelson for pointing out an electronic fuel pump from
>Pep Boys for $30. (that looks exactly like the one in the Moss catalog).
>Let me know if you want more details about the pump.
>        Anyway, I put it in and it seems to work just fine.  Here's some
>questions:
>On turning just the ignition on, the old SU pump would beat for about 10
>sec then stop.  This electronic one just keeps on ticking away and doesn't
>stop.  Is this normal?

I noticed that too.  I guess/hope it is normal.

>Needless to say, I didn't bother reading the 2 page instructions that came
>with the pump until after I had finished.  It says someplace that " If the
>original pump is a combined fuel and vacuum pump then leave the pump in
>place.  Disconnect the fuel lines from the pump and attach them together.
>Do not remove the other vacuum lines"  What does all that mean?  There was
>a hose (vacuum?) that was connected to the old SU.  Is the SU a combined
>fuel and vacuum pump?

I completely bypassed my SUs (I have dual SU fuel pumps.)

>The instructions also say to position the pump so that the output end is
>uppermost.  I hate to ask, but is that necessary?  If so, I'll have crawl
>back under and reposition the bloody thing.

I found a place on the firewall.  It works.  The output end is not "uppermost".

>Adrian

Don (I'm the one that originally posted news of this pump.)Mathis

Don Mathis, Ph.D.
Lucent Technologies
Norcross, Georgia
donmathis@lucent.com