Re: wannabe MGTD

To: pbailey@qnet.com
Subject: Re: wannabe MGTD
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 08:36:26 EDT
Hi Patrick,
 There are at least two, and probably more, counterfeiters out there who
have produced these things. Neither make is good enough to warrant the
names "reproduction" or "replica."  The other version is a plastic body
dropped onto a VW Beetle platform, equipped with bizzare wire-wheel
covers, and sometimes with fuzzy dice.
  Sadly, the owners don't always know that they are driving a fraud. One,
who appeared at an all-classes show near here, thought the EmGee (or
whatever) was really the name, and told me that he paid $9500 for his
classic ride.
  Saw a guy in a fake Mercedes out trolling for babes one day; talked
with him a bit. He said that the reason he had this car was only to use
as a babe magnet. I could quickly understand why he needed one.
  One supposes that we should be flattered that some entrepreneurs want
to be able to sell the image of the MGs we cherish, but I'm not flattered
and nobody else I have ever met is impressed either.
Bob