Head gasket sealer?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Head gasket sealer?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 01:42:19 +0000
> Subject: head gasket question
>
> Todays question, fellow listers - Are you supposed to use gasket sealer
> on a head gasket?  I've heard it's not necessary, but maybe it should be
> used as a "just to be on the safe side" type of thing?  Any opinions out
> there?
>
>  -NORY

Nory,
        My opinion, which I have seen in most of the catalogues/magazines as
well, is that you shouldn't use sealer on head gaskets as a general
rule.  My reasoning is that the torque involved, as well as the fact
that both the head and block can and should be decked flat,
eliminates the need for any sealer.  If you were dealing with
something like an oil pan gasket with ridges that couldn't be ground
smooth, and was only fastened on with 15-20 ft-lbf of torque, then
you might need a sealer to help things along.
        A spray-on sealer would probably be the safest way to go on a head
gasket if you HAD to use something.  If you used the liquid sealer
from a tube, you probably couldn't get it smooth enough to help you
out, and you might even end up with gaps and uneven pressures on the
surfaces.
Scott