Kit Cars (MG and otherwise)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Kit Cars (MG and otherwise)
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 01:19:12 +0000
> Subject: Re: wannabe MGTD
>
> I've seen these kits.  A lot of people were seriously ripped off by one
> of the companies (the now-defunct Classic Motor Carriages) that sold the
> kits.  The kit cost anywhere from $4000 to $6000, and the extra stuff
> that had to be purchased/modified was another couple grand.  Not to
> mention the donor car, and, if it was done right, the expense of
> rebuilding/restoring the chassis and engine of the donor car.  This poor
> sap is barely getting his money back at $7500.  I've seen people trying
> to sell them for $12,000!  They're fun, but at that price, might as well
> just look for a real MG!
>
>  -NORY

Nory, I know what you mean about the kit car prices.  The last time I
really paid any attention to kit cars (or "handcrafted automobiles",
as they're now called), the popular ones were all VW based, and
basically were variations of the Porsche 917 or the Manta.  I just
picked up a copy of Kit car magazine, since my wife wants a Cobra
replica, and the turn-key models are $30-$40 thousand!  Of course,
for this, you get a four-inch tubular frame, Ford 428 c.i. SCJ
engine, top-loader tranny, Ford 9-inch rearend, four-wheel discs,
coil-overs, and all manner of assorted goodies, and it IS fully
assembled, but the price still knocked me for a loop.  Also,
fiberglass seems to have given way to Kevlar, carbon-fibre, and more
composite materials than the space shuttle.  There are still a bunch
of kits that require a donor car, but more and more are designed from
the ground up.
Scott

Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com