Re: Japanese copying LBCs?

To: Nory@webtv.net (Nory), mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Japanese copying LBCs?
From: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 10:56:17 -0500
At 10:23 AM 8/26/97 -0400, you wrote:
>A few years ago at the Carlisle Import car weekend, we happened upon a
>parking lot outside of town that was filled with what appeared to be
>LBCs.  Thinking it was an MG gathering, I decided to impose myself upon
>this group for a little chat (hadn't had the Midget long, it wasn't on
>the road yet, and I didn't know much about LBCs yet),  We started
>looking around at the cars and, to my surprise, it turned out they were
>DATSUNS!  I never saw them before (apparently aren't any in our area),
>but they looked just like our MGs!  I don't know how many mecanical
>similarities there are, as I never got to see under the hood, but
>without seeing the Datsun badge, you would never know the difference.

Almost certainly the Nissan/Datsun Sports Fairlady. Personally I think its
supposed similarity in looks to the MGB is overstated, but it was peculiar
since both came out in 62. Many arguments about who copied whom. I think the
similarity is coincidental and, again, not all that similar. I can tell 'em
apart easily, and their differences are even more telling when side by side.
. .although the Datsun's taller shape (made more pronounced by a taller
windshield) makes it look something like the offspring of an unholy union
between an MGB and a TR4.
 Many people say they are good cars in their own right, however. Don't know
personally.

Michael, New Bern, NC