Balancing pistons and rods?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Balancing pistons and rods?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 23:09:00 +0000
        In regards to engine balancing, I understand the idea of balancing
the crankshaft and flywheel, but am a little unclear on balancing
the piston/rod assembly.  Is it just a matter of removing metal from
one or more piston/rod assemblies until all four are the same weight,
or do you have to make sure the new center of gravity of the assembly
lies along the longitudinal axis of the rod?  From where is the extra
metal usually removed?  What is considered to be "good enough" when
weighing the pistons and rods?
        On an unrelated note, do any of the MGB pistons have notches cut in
them for valve clearance?  The pistons in the 1950 cc kit that
Brit-Tek sells appear to have "eyebrows" cut into the otherwise flat
surface of the pistons.  These don't seem to be of any use,
considering the face of the valve is parallel to the piston, and any
collision would involve the entire face of the valve colliding with
the piston at once.  Perhaps the pistons in the 1950cc kit were
originally designed for a different engine?  I'm sure SOMEONE here
knows.
 Scott