Re:Slagging off the English

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:Slagging off the English
From: Ann Snyder <snydera@mis.finchcms.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 11:59:44 -0500
Philip Raby wrote:
>Hang on, we've got a very healthy computer industry. Not sure you guys
>have though, my new all-American Apple is made in Korea ;-)
>In fact, Paul is dead, it's an English made computer impersonating him
>and writing all those daft songs.

Quite right!  LBC could also be used as an acronym for Little British
Computer.  This will really date me, but our very first home computer was a
Sinclair, bought as a kit from an advertisement in Scientific American.
These were the first affordable home computers. It had a membrane keyboard
and used a television as the monitor.  We actually entered game programs in
Basic.  Unfortunately, computers do not age gracefully, as did our little
British cars!

>While I'm at it, what's all this about Lucas? I've owned English cars
>since I was a teenager and had no problems with the electrics, neither
>have any of my friends. What could be simpler than the wiring in an MGB I
>ask you?
>
>Maybe it's just not compatible with US electricity :-))

What would we do if we didn't have Lucas to kick around?  Seriously- very
often the problem is not the Lucas component, but the shoddy connections or
splices made by POs who like to complain about Lucas.  We have seen twisted
wire held together with electrical tape- some people never learned how to
solder.  Maybe Lucas is scapegoat spelled backwards.

Ann
  '72 B GT
  '71 B roadster
  '2 many project cars to mention