Re: Problem with my 74 BGT

To: mgrick@ptd.net
Subject: Re: Problem with my 74 BGT
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 20:22:33 EDT
On Wed, 27 Aug 1997 19:37:29 -0700 Rick Brown <mgrick@ptd.net> writes:
>There is probably a simple answer to this question but here goes:
>
>Yesterday I was driving my BGT home from work (daily driver) - got in
>the car started it with no problem and pulled out got no more than 200
>yards when it started to sputter and almost died but I kept pumping
>the
>gas pedal and it caught again and i had no problem for the rest of the
>way home.  In the AM I got in started w/ no problem and got no more
>than
>a few hundred yards and it sputtered and died .  Would not restart -
>got
>out and checked the gas filter which was filled with gas - waited a
>little while and it started up with no problem and had no problems for
>the rest of the way to work.  Tonight the same thing happened.  Any
>ideas?
>
>thanks Rick

Rick,
  Sounds like a weak or failing fuel pump,  or alternatively a sticking
float(s)..
 One way to test is when the engine is cold (after an overnight sitting,
etc)  pull the fuel line from the carb and while an assistant turn on the
ignition, time the flow into a measured container. Simple multiplication
will give you the gallons per hour rate for comparison to the pump specs.

   then with the line still disconnected, attach a 0-10 psi pressure
gauge  and turn on the ignition. The pressure should be between 2-5 psi.
  If both these test show the pump is OK,  pull the float covers and
check the float needles for foreign matter and to assure they aren't
sticking in the closed position.
  Incidently, pumping the throttle pedal has no effect on the carbs, as
SU's don't have accelerator pumps.
 Hope this helps
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT