Won't run over 3500

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Won't run over 3500
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 12:46:06 -0500
Back in the old days, my 70 B would could be adjusted to idle or to run
under load but you couldn't get it to do both at the same time.  Lean the
carbs to get a good idle and it had no power and wouldn't run above 3k rpm.
 Strengthen the mixture to get good midrange power and the pig would load
up at idle.  I didn't have a book and they weren't Holleys so I never
figured out what was wrong with the carbs.  I just lived with the problem.
I told everyone that the cam was too big to allow a decent idle.

Anyway, you could have the same problem. You are lacking either fuel or
spark under load.  I say fatten up the mixture a turn and see if it runs
better under power.  If this fixes the problem I would guess that the jet
assembly is some how buggered.  Maybe a seal isn't sealing or they aren't
seating after using the choke (or to be more precise, the enrichment
device).

Another thought- have you ever lost antifreeze?  I don' t remember if you
said that you replaced the wires but, in the old days, soaking ignition
wires in antifreeze would ruin their dielectric strength and you would get
crossfiring.  Just a thought.

Good luck,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA