Home-made Heat Shield

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Home-made Heat Shield
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 08:15:45 -0400
Hi Folks,
        There does not appear to be a source for a new or used heat shiel=
for the 1975 MG Midget.  Moss part # 375-480    (Anyone got one for sale?=
) =

The one I made a while back hasn't cured the vapor lock problem - maybe i=
was too thin.   (I cut it from roof-flashing).
        Here's the interesting bit - what color should it be?  The shield=

fits between the carb and the exhaust manifold.  After much (?) thought,
the top surface,  adjacent to the carb,  should be black (so as to retain=

heat) and the bottom surface, next to the exhaust manifold, should be whi=
te
or shiny metal, to reflect the heat back down.  What do you think?
        Actually, it would be nice to attach some insulating material to
the shield.  The only readily available stuuff that comes to mind is that=

"Reflectix" - looks like Reynolds Wrap sandwiching bubble wrap -  comes
from Lowes, Home Depot etc.  This would be favorite for gluing to the
underside of the shield.  Trouble is,  it is not tolerant to high heat an=
would probably shrivel up, melt, smolder, ignite and set the carb on fire=
=2E =

 Is asbestos totally unavailable?
        Where would you go to for a piece of metal for this shield and wh=
at
"gauge" .  How is "gauge" related to thickness, BTW.

TIA,     Adrian  =