'74 BGT

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '74 BGT
From: "Steve Dillen"<Steve_Dillen@ismbc.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 21:59:17 -0700
I have a question for the collective knowledge of the list. . .

I've been looking for a project car to replace my last project that had to
be scrapped (hated to do it, but after adding up a list of parts, which hit
close to 7 grand, it was time to call it quits).

I'm looking at a '74 BGT (November '73, so it's still chrome) that's been
sitting in a garage for the last 10 yeas.  The asking price is $1000.00 cdn
(remember there's a 38% exchange rate to US).

On the down side, I know the following --
     The LF fender needs complete replacement (rust)
     The rockers are gone -- inner sill looks salvageable, cross members
appear sound.  Floors are sound.
     Both doglegs need replacement.

I've priced out the sheet metal both locally, and through Moss and expect
that I'm looking at around $1500 or so.

There are a few other spots of rust, however I believe they are repairable
(I know the rust will be worse when I dig in, however I just went through
that nightmare with a '74 roadster and have a >lot< better idea of what
would need replacement that I did six months ago).

The glass is good, interior is fair.  Nothing electrically appears to be
bastardized (I've been under the dash and haven't found any bizarre
splices).  Will need a front bumper, tires, and I'm expecting every
hydraulic seal to be shot (clutch master/slave, brake master and wheels),
however none of these are leaking now.

Engine is not currently running (owner says the fuel pump is shot).  I have
a fuel pump in the garage from my other '74, and would expect to have the
car running and have a compression test before taking it.  I have a spare
'74 engine from my previous nightmare that I've just finished overhauling.
Indications are the gearbox is fine, but I also have one of those in the
garage.

So, my question is, does your experience say it's worth buying a car like
this, putting it in the garage for a year, and spending likely close to 3
grand on parts for it to produce a good car (I'm not interested in
concourse, but want to have something that I'm proud to show to people), or
should I stick with the original plan of continuing to look for a more
complete car and going from there?  Is this a reasonable price for this
car?   Does anyone know of a better deal for a project car?

Please reply directly to me as I'm on the digest -- I'm going to go and
contemplate navel fuzz for a while and then look at the car again on
Sunday.  Thanks in advance!